Thursday 18 February 2016

Daily Poem

Chop Sui Generis

They were one of a kind, the only proper way
To finish a Chinese meal, little white balls,
We called them mothballs, and to this day
There has never been anything like them: one trawls
Through history in search of something similar.
Impossible.  It was sui generis and lives in memory
Alone.  How could it be otherwise? We are
Creatures of our own experience, and chicory
Cannot be confused with coffee, pickles out of a barrel
Half-sour like nothing else, so too the vanilla
Scoops after chow mein or chop suey, the El
Overhead, the late afternoon rain, keeps falling.
It is sometime in late 1944 and we are in Brooklyn.

On the other side of the ocean, if I had known,
Uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents were murdered.
Not in anonymous millions, but one by one,
Each alone.  I was four years old, afraid
Because my mother and her mother remembered
What I had never known, could not imagine, made
Aware only decades later when no one was left to ask
Why did they look at me that way and say my task
Was to eat my food, grow strong, and be a mensch.

If I had seen the smoke on the horizon and smelled the stench
From the other side of the world, I never could have grown:
But not long after, one after another my grandparents died,
and then my mother fell apart.  I cried,
of course, but did not understand.  In a dark
Chinese restaurant, no matter where, after the chow
Mein or the chop suey, I order vanilla ice-
Cream, little round white balls, very stark,
Not kosher but still sacred, like prayers that splice
The Sabbath to the ordinary week and watch the flow
of history as Havdallah candles twist and glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment