Saturday 13 August 2016

Archaeological Poem




An Old Synagogue Mosaic in Susiya

I have sat here many centuries, under the blazing sun,
once my roof collapsed, and then the sand
covered these wonderful mosaics, lovely colours,
images of piety and pleasure, such as one
might see in a far off rich and goyish land,
but eventually as they say, eventually time blurs
everything, and no one saw me anymore.

Then other settlers, not really very long ago
crossed over the river and built a village, used my name;
they never noticed me sitting here in the middle,
always waiting for the time to pass again,
and my own descendants to return and brush
aside the dust of centuries, until now, that is,
without the poetry of dreams or the piddle
of politics.  I watch the scientists rush
to poke and measure what lay beneath the surface,
and while they don’t exactly appreciate my faith
inscribed in pagan illustrations, they
are my own people, finally, and claim
me as their own, while the others fiddle
with the law and turn time upside down
as though they were here first like the sand and dust,
eternal and natural, like the wind and the dervish swirl
of made-up history, violent and ephemeral
in ugly tents and vicious lies. 

How I would hurl
invectives at these enemies and cast them down
in all their arrogance, but I am old and know a thing or two,
that what was not there ten years ago cannot now be true
and must learn patience yet again and bite my tongue,
though I could not have done that when I was young;
the poetry you see in these mosaics came from anger—
how fierce I was in the faith I had in God!
Now like the sands that slowly yield my face,
I sit here at the side and wait for your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment