Friday 19 May 2017

Two More Prehistoric Poems

A Prehistoric Face

I have waited, they say, for nearly fifty thousand years
for someone to recognize my face, to see
the rock, and on it the way I carved the eyes
and then the mouth, and smoothed the indentations
to mark my nose and chin; no need for ears
or hair or neck or any other part of me.
They also say, my people never tried
and could not, such artistic ambitions.
Of course not, and yet why not, for I am here,
A face when no one else would ever have
Thought of such a thing—they doubt that I could even think.
Why? Because we were short and stocky, didn’t shave?
Our lives, too, were short. I saw my children sink
into oblivion.  If I were not a maker, our grave
has no meaning.  I am the missing link.


The First Piece of Jewellery in the World

Of course, what else could it be?  The material, the skill,
The loving way it sits there in the cave,
As though it were left deliberately to fill
Your eyes with wonder, your heart, to save
Forever as a memory.  Thus carved
It was an adornment and symbol, lost and found,
Who wore it long turned to dust. Thus starved
Through lack of love and imagination, bound
In oblivion until released, made to taste
An interest never experienced by science,
A hunger for knowledge, game forever chased,
Trapped in the mind’s discovery, in the silence
Of the grotto’s mouth, a beautiful little thing,

To see and savor, to hear the ancient spirit sing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment