Thursday 12 April 2018

Mid April Poem


History of a Lost Primeval Fantasy
Whither or Wither Away

By ordinary reckoning, it was not so long ago,
and I still measure history by experience.
The generations are always getting shorter
the way an old man’s height shrinks. From whence
we may deduce, as those old ages said,
that between my father and his father and so
on back in time it is not so long. The door
when opened lets in a breath of air once breathed
by Napoleon or Charlemagne, like the worms
creeping in and out of Polonius and Caesar,
and just as one young Pharaoh forgot the promises
his father made, the first historian had premises
we can no longer believe in. And what we tell
our children, they will confuse when their own sons
and daughters ask for explanations. “Bizarre,”
they will say, “quite impossible and please don’t lie
to us. No one ever walked on the moon.
There were never times without the internet.
The oceans cannot freeze and people walk
from Siberia to Alaska. Besides, last year
you sang  us other songs mellow-voiced crooners
crooned, and said that men and women danced
together, and you listened to the radio
under the blankets late at night.” My mother
waited impatiently for the war to end. Her brother
disappeared in Hawai’i that December day.
I was bitten by a chicken on the West Coast
and heard the battles fought across the Pacific
though I was not yet four.  Later, on Iwo Jima,
the GIs saw the pictures I drew with crayons and glued
on the window for the passers-by to make
a V-for-Victory sign and smile at me.
On the day of Hiroshima I had my tonsils out.
By ordinary reckoning, this was not so very long ago.
My grandfather’s grandfather saw the Emperor
ride past through his shtetl in Poland bedraggled
while the snow was falling. I date every great event
by what I know or want to believe. The children
whispered that bubble gum would be back soon
and if I had a penny to put in the glass bowl
I could get some to chew.  This was impossible,
I thought, and so too the strange man by the train
two years later my mother said was my dad.
Many things cannot be true, even though they happened.
I cannot be as old as I am and everyone else disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment