Monday 3 June 2013

The Wreck Under The River



As a young boy, growing up in the 1940s, one of my favourite radio shows came on late at night, at 9:30 p.m., half an hour after my bedtime, and thus could only be listened to covertly under the covers with the radio light the only source of illumination in an otherwise blackened environment.  Needless to say, the little orange light emitted from the small radio set I hid under the blankets was part of the eerie atmosphere and the mysterious story being told.

            The tale that stands out most in my memory recounts a sunken boat that lies under the mud of the Hudson River.  The shipwreck had been there for three centuries and had been one of the smaller vessels that followed Heindrick Hudson’s voyage of discovery to find the Northwest Passage.  Not treasure, but something else more valuable and powerful lay hidden in this ancient wooden tomb, something, it would seem, that was vaguely alive, or animate in a foreboding and grotesque way.  The narrative voice spoke of a small group of adventurers who, learning of the wreck and tempted both by the promise of riches, fame and the sheer joy of discovery, searched charts of colonial Nieuw Amsterdaam and journals of the future city’s earliest European inhabitants.  One of these yellowing, fragile documents found in a secret archive in Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan provided the leading clue, which the hardy band of intrepid modern explorers sought to follow. 
As tremulous organ music played under the deep voice of the narrator, basso profundo, the cliché-ridden script told how the young men, nearly contemporary with the time I was listening to this radio broadcast, let’s say about 1949, found an entrance to a tunnel under one of the oldest docks on the river.  Though oozing disgusting smelling mud and barely held-together by rotting old logs, the tunnel seemed trust-worthy enough for them to go forward, with just a few handheld flashlights to show the way.  It was likely that they would have to advance close to a mile out to the main channel where the wreck was said to lie.
The truth is, as I have to admit, two things prevented me from knowing what happened in this bubba meysa, although it certainly worked in making a deep and horrendous impression on me that has lasted more than fifty years.[i]  One of these things is that the commercial breaks every ten minutes diverted my attention, so far as keeping any continuity of narrative logic in mind, although I was immediately caught up in the action once again and mesmerized by the speaker’s dark, deep voice.  This was similar to the way I read books: going from page top page or paragraph-to-paragraph without remembering what came before or anticipating what would follow.  The second thing was that very resonant and soothing voice, along with the dark space under the blankets and the pale eerie light of the radio, tended to make me fall asleep and miss key moments of narration and so again lose any awareness of continuity of meaning.  This, by the way, is a habit I continue to this day watching movies on television, especially old films, and late at night, but of course this narcotic effect may be precisely why when I can’t otherwise fall asleep I watch these classic movies.
At the heart of my memory sits a glimpse of mysterious figures squirming through the mud, creeping among the skeletons of sailors who died four hundred years earlier, and voices eerily echoing along the dark winding tunnels under the Hudson River.  If I can feel my way into the amorphous substance of this recollection, all the real details and contours of which have disappeared with the years, if they had at all played themselves into a proper storyline as I lay in my head listening to the radio, there is something there about the Indians who lived on both sides of the river, who paddled their canoes out to see the strange vessel that had invaded their consciousness, and the struggle that ensued, the aboriginal warriors realizing in some way that everything in their lives was about to end.  For this reason, what was frightening to me as a child, though I could not understand either the psychological dimensions or the historical implications of the silly narrative, was this sense of the modern explorers intruding into the wreckage under the river, violating the forbidden connections that should have been forever severed at the moment the ship sank, and forcing the muddy waters of the river to yield a sense of its own incomprehensible rage and frustration.
This tale, I remind you, was just one of many that I heard week after week for at least one year.  Like so much else in my childhood, incidents of this sort, whether experienced at first hand or through the medium of radio, film or books, were shaping my consciousness and thus the course of my life in ways that neither the other persons involved could have guessed nor my own mind articulate for most of my subsequent career; and which only now in what must surely be the final decade or two start to make sense.




[i] Now, of course, sixty plus years.

No comments:

Post a Comment