Wednesday 4 December 2013

New Sayings and Small Essays



In my catalogue of evils I inscribe three contentious agencies: first, the hypocrites who pretend to be the guardians of human rights and liberalism, but who rationalize the debauchers, the violators and the roadside bombers; second, the celebrities and super-rich in their displays of obscenity and ignorance; and third, the quiet, the passive and the indifferent who cannot see the evil all around them.

Someone said he had an uncle who lived in three centuries: born in the late 1890s and died soon after the third millennium began.  But what does it mean to have lived so long and never risked annihilation? Or to sit in silence counting the final months come by?

It takes six months or more for the chicks after hatching to decide amongst themselves who is female, who is male, and thus who goes out to the dinner table, who stays around to lay and brood. Until then, they don’t know what they are.  It is like that in so many things.

Years ago when I was young and healthy, the elderly around me seemed relics from another world.  Their youths belonged to the nineteenth century, as they did still.  In their sixties and seventies, they were already decrepit and needed help to get around.  I held one grandfather’s hand to take him to the doctor, to watch out as we crossed the street—and he had shrunk in height.  The other lay in bed always dying.  Now I have reached their age and also live in another century. 

Every morning I throw Wheatbix out to the birds.  Within seconds they gather to commence the feast.   Some days they arrive before I have completed the service.  On days when I am late, they strut around in front of the kitchen door to admonish me.  Other days they send scouts to fly past if they sense lurking cats in the bushes.  After all these years, they still don’t trust me.  









No comments:

Post a Comment