Wednesday 21 July 2021

Five Poems in the Midst Of the Second Plague Year

 

Someone in Paris Died: JG

It happens all too often, the news of death, from  some

forgotten location, a person who once helped

us out of a scrape, a nearly unknown name;

then when it is too late to write or mourn, like kelp

beyond the high tide mark, cracked and dried,

a bad smell of remembrance, it invades

your conscience and your consciousness. He died

with family, friends and those who knew him better,

longer and deeper, each of them like blades

that cut into my growing sense of guilt.

My loss: if only I had sent one letter

to remind him of my gratitude. Tears spilt

now will fade too soon into the sands of time,

silent stains that have no reason or rhyme.

 

 

PGB: In Memorium

We sat there is a small crowded patisserie,

As though we were those who did their best to find ideas

For generations in that same crowded space, and we

Had known each other all our lives, sharing fears

And hopes. You did so much, and I so little,

Yet like all those other fleeting conversations,

They changed my life, and saved my soul, brittle

Once and then made subtle, gave me patience

To press on with difficult questions. Just across

The little narrow street, in the building where

The Divine Sarah performed a century ago,

You made me feel someday I might belong

And write the books of verse we all would share,

But now you are beyond my voice, under moss

That softly filters out my urge to hear your wise advice.

 

 

KAIROS

It’s one thing to outlast your enemies and feel the earth

Grow lighter with their passing; another when friends

Depart and weigh you down with grief. Not worth

The contemplation, those you almost knew

But faded in the course of life, the dream that ends

Before you realize it was Kairos,  that single

Moment of opportunity, meeting when true

Attachments could be made, in a shady dingle

Or a distant dell, conjured out of nothing

But a spark of imagination, and when it blends

Into the darkness of despair, before it flew

Out of your reach, like a will’o’th’wisp. Grief bends

Into a bitter memory and echoes—then ends.

 

The Same Old Thing Again

They were always passing away, those who came first,

But no one told me for decades, and then no tears

Would spring to my eyes and grief was fleeting. The thirst

To drink in their wisdom had been quenched by miles

And years; then other interests came my way.

I never seemed to think of them when I was young.

Great scholars sat up front while notes were scribbled

And who they were was just the way things were,

Like rhymes hidden in rough lines or hung

Upon the structure of long epics. I quibbled

About words I was too lazy to search. Then year

Followed year, old figures disappeared, the voices

Of authority no longer commanded my respect,

And blurry dreams tugged at my deaf ear.

The distant details were no longer there to inspect.

Life skittered further down into the great abyss.

 

 

On the Edge of Murder

She said there was no Covid-19—I gulped—

and four million dead were a drop in the bucket:

but we were stuck and there was no way to answer back,

and I am too old to let my anger loose, as I did once,

when someone said, “The blecks hev not ivolved

I felt a pall of unconsciousness descend;

then,  people were pulling my fists apart:

suddenly I saw her fear and rage,

and it was time to leave and never return.

The ugliness of stupidity is once again on the streets,

 like the brown shirts and the green shirts and the  black,

altogether formidable despite their cowardly countenances.

Don’t respond to their ugly words—But they ram their cars

and stab us in the back. No use calling the police.

No use looking to see who runs out of their house to help.

Once again, as always, we are on our own.

The best you get are some pious words

and maybe a few dollars thrown in charity.

Completely on our side, they say, but, after all

You don’t expect me to risk my family’s life or comfort.

No, my dear old friend, I expect nothing.

Well, then, no harm done, right? he says. No harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment