Monday 29 July 2013

Apothegms for 2013 No.; 1


Certain messages that I compose on the electronic screen disappear before they can be saved, or even before I can put in the final, telling word.  Perhaps they should not be written at all.  But who can help thinking them?

I have forgotten the reason why we quarreled many years ago.  But I cannot abide their faces or their memories.  If they came into my sight, they would blacken my thoughts.  I will not slander them in public, however much they keep me from peaceful dreams.

As slush is to snow, so unfulfilled hopes are to old age.

Finally, someone chopped away the sharp stiff branches that scraped my arms every time I passed.  It is a relief, though I have no reason to walk on that path.

A sickly old hedgehog creeps through our yard, partaking of the crumbs and grain we throw out for the birds.  This creature has no quills.  His color is ghastly grey.  From now on I will toss extra food on to the grass.
Schlegel, Hegel—are they philosophers or descriptions of the weather and does it matter?

The blackbirds in the garden are sensitive and full of scruples.  They fly away as soon as someone passes by the window.  They will not eat their scarps of food unless the sparrows and the other small birds have checked it out.  I used to be like that with new ideas.  Now I am always unhappy with the crumbs.

Gardens framed by mist, uncomfortable in winter, yet somehow shelter the sun.  The long walk by the river, with the noise of big trucks rumbling by, our simulacrum of nature.  When summer comes, dry and angular beams to blind us, we dream back to the absence of places to rest.  All this, like broken rainbows scattered between the clouds and the almost orange margin of the sun.  We cannot command the weather we inherit.

I once thought there were too many penguins on the lawn and advised caution when walking through the grass.  But, as I said, there can never be too many of them.  Now I wonder if they were not Antarctic birds at all but rather pumpkins in disguise.  In that case, there would never be enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment