Tuesday 9 July 2013

Refractions of a Loss



To my friends across the sea,
Continents of rugged ground,
You send a pile of poetry
And it’s glass that has been ground
In pain and sorrow, grief and death.
Glass grinds into my eyes
And the tears cannot melt
The lump in my throat
Or sentimental sighs
In some romantic note,
Not when it’s news of death.

I too know the sudden lapse,
The loss of consciousness,
The darkness all around,
But each time, at the abyss,
It has withdrawn back to its source
Somewhere underground,
The intimations of impending death.
Your letter startles me,
Your poetry shatters my illusions,
Your losses knock me to the ground.

Not only can I no longer see
The world as once I did
Through dreams of immortality,
But I have hid
Those voices prompting;
For I am deaf,
And watch your gestures
Wildly waving
With wilder eyes.
No one matures
Into a wiser man
Or understands
The old necessities
Unless the sound
Of broken glass
Infuses sparks of doubt
And double bound
Tumbles through the prison grate
A lens, a lance,
A blinding ray
Diffused, diffracted,
An orblute refracted round the deceptive towers of a Spanish castle
Or a will’o’the wisp skipping through the deep morass of memory
In search of time long lost,
Some place to rest and insert
Its store of pain and humiliation.


In the middle of a perfectly dark and peaceful sleep
My eyes pry themselves apart and stare
Into the night searching for the red lines
Of an electric clock to reassure me
That blindness and death have not come yet
And I struggle to hear some sound
And to touch some familiar thing.
When reassured for the moment,
I fear to close myself inside myself again
And try to read until my eyes grow heavy,
my mind resigns itself to dumbness
and the possibility of oblivion.
Old books do not deal with the impossible dangers
Of our modern world, their worries
And their fears seem distant possibilities,
And what was most excruciating
Has already come to pass—
Wars, famines, genocide.

Through the broken lenses of my time machine
I see fragmented nightmares
And can live with them one piece at a time.
But then, beyond expectation,
A little dog I came to like,
A three-legged mutt named Sam,
A jolly little person,
The only animal I have liked in ages,
Was mauled to pieces by a neighbor’s beast.

The world is once again at the precipice,
More than in Egypt, Syria and Iran,
So that archaic novels no longer comfort
And only my own childish memories
Purged of seriousness bring sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment