Thursday 25 July 2013

The Bums Leave Brooklyn and Other Lessons of History

 Did I ever tell you how we changed the course of world history?  There are opportunities for ten or eleven year olds to influence major events.  But we did.  Let me make for you an explanation.  One year in the late 1950s, when we were old enough to ride the buses by ourselves, we would go—the combined 47th and 48th Street gang—to Ebbett’s Field to watch the Dodgers play baseball.

Still, this is just one of my baseball memories.  Baseball memories are part and parcel of how a Jewish boy remembers growing up in Brooklyn in the years just after the War.  In the other stories, it was not world history that was changed but myself and my life and the whole way I looked at the world.  So it’s a whole bundle of story lines that have to be woven together. 

Beer is Bitter

The first story is how Grandpa Dave introduced me to beer because he was too excited to walk down to the stand where they sold sodas. I was very young then and couldn’t go anywhere by myself.  It was also fun to go with grandpa.  My own daddy was always working, so he never took me anywhere, except maybe the stamp show once a year.  Grandpa was retired.  He liked baseball and other many things.  I liked baseball but was not sure what it was, how, for instance, it differed from stickball that big boys played on the street, or roll the ball around the kitchen.  So when he took me to Ebbetts Field that was exciting.  Lots of people, lots of noise, and something I could barely see happening out on the field. 
            So actually after a short while I became bored and wanted to go home.  Grandpa wanted to stay to see the game, so I had to stay.  But I got hungry and thirsty.  That’s when he bought be a hotdog on a b un from a man with a little box tied round his neck.  When he asked another man, this one with a funny cardboard hat on his head, if he could have a coca cola for the little lad, who was me, the man said, Nah, he only sells beer, and that you have to go yourself under the bleachers and buy coca cola from a machine for a  nickel.  Grandpa said he would give me a nickel to go buy own bottle.  I was too scared.  That’s when he got me a beer.  It was bitter but because I was very thirsty I drank three sips.  But don’t tell anyone, he said.  I promised not to.  Well, at least until today.  It was hard because I became very sleepy, stayed that way on the bus,. And then when we met my mother in the kitchen, and no one knew why I couldn’t keep my eyes open.

Learning What You Are

The second little story is about  how I got lost coming out of a game and found myself in the middle of a whole crowd of Negro fans and thus discovered that I was a minority and not a normal person.  That was important for me, but not for history.  You probably can imagine it as well as I.  However, here are a few little details to help you.  I went with Grandpa Dave again, but several years later so I was not afraid to buy a coca cola by myself.  I also could go to the toilet for a pee without having anyone take me and then find my way back, usually.  On that day, as you can now imagine, I didn’t.  It was near the end of the game anyway,  but I still had to go bad.  The game was slow to end and there were extra innings.  Not too many.  By the time I was lost, the Dodgers had lost, and the crowds started coming out of the bleachers.  So when I found myself at the other side of the stadium where all colored people sat, I was really lost and scared.  Then a man helped me.  he was black but he was like a regular person and held my hand when we got outside, stood near the bus stop, and waited with me until Grandpa came.  That’s how I learned the important things in life, only I didn’t know it for a while.

Changing the World

Here is another memory of those days.  This is the important one.  You might think it was nice and sweet, like all those kids who were interviewed on the Happy Felton Knothole Gang or whatever they were called.  You got free tickets and a chance to talk about your favourite players.  From this we didn’t need, that’s what we said, since there was no way a 47th Street gang member would ever be chosen to be with all those slick, snobby non-Jewish fans.  Instead we did better.  How so?  Easy,
 It happened one year, who can remember which, that we got to Ebbets Field to see the Dodgers playing.  The ball park was almost empty from one end to the other, but still the game went on with two teams, the Dodgers and whoever else.  Because there were so many empty seats, we decided, why not, to make our way down from the usual bleachers where we usually sat, and down and down until we were right up near the field itself, so close you could touch if you reached over and stretched with all you might.
But it was not stretching for us.  We could see the players close up, like real people, or like with faces you watch on television if you don’t go the game by yourself and stay at home and sit next to the television set.  Especially we could see, because he was so close, the short stop, Pee Wee Reese himself.  So we called out, Hey, Pee Wee, watcha gonna do today?  It maybe sounded insulting to him; for us it was friendly, as much as when we played by ourselves stickball in the street when the cars weren’t passing.  But for him, nu, so it was an insult, we didn’t know why, maybe just a bad day or something he ate.  So we called out a few times Watcha gonna do, Pee Wee?  He turns around to look right in the face, but a friendly look it wasn't.  It was something scary, let me tell you.  But at once there is a crack, a ball races down the field from the batter on the other side, it rolls quickly between his legs that he suddenly notices.
That face of looking right at us turns a different color altogether, something really mean.  Meanwhile the whole ballpark, which remember wasn’t very full, nevertheless begins to say booh.  Is this for the shortstop himself who lets a ball roll between his legs, an easy ball to catch and throw to the first baseman to make an out?  It is a very loud booh, and a whole series of boohs and then bad words, and people here and there around us start to point, and the umpire walks across the field to point to us as well.  Booh, booh, booh
After that we didn’t know because the whole gang is racing back up the cement stairs, out the exit, and into the street outside, before the game is over.  Only when we take the bus home and get back to our own street do we look at each other, catch our breath, look again at each other, and start to laugh.  One says this, another says that, and still more to say things, until in a few minutes we change our fear and embarrassment into something to be proud of.  We had become the center of attention.
 But though we didn’t make it on to the television with commentators or find ourselves in the sports page or even be mentioned in Happy Felton’s Knothole Gang, we knew we were famous.  We had changed the course of baseball history.  You don’t believe it?  Who cares?  The proof is right there in the books because not so long, could be a year or two, after our famous episode the Dodgers left Brooklyn and went to California.  Everyone wondered why.  Everyone thought it was a great betrayal of trust to the millions of fans who lived in Brooklyn.  It was something no one would have expected in a million years.  But it happened.  And now you know why.

How To Remember Things: An Ironic Conclusion

Nostalgia, someone said.  This person looked at me straight in the face because I said the Dodgers didn’t betray everyone.  I know because I know.  But he said to me: You look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles.  Nothing is real for you any more.  But wait, I want to say.  What I wanted to say then, and what I just told you, could never been said back then.  Nor for many years.  The good memories outweigh the bad and I wanted everyone to think well of the team and the fans, though not the stupid Knothole Gang and all its sissy members.
First of all, let me tell you, no matter what I may remember nice or not so nice about back then and the people I knew, what does it matter?  Matter shmatter.  Because what happened happened and only a few of us knew why and we couldn’t, just couldn’t tell the rest of the people in Brooklyn.  When the Brooklyn Dodgers left Brooklyn, it was more than just a massive betrayal of the loyalty and love we all gave the team—Pee Wee Reese and the whole lot of them, win, lose, or whatever—we were their fans, loyal and true, and we loved them, and because we loved them, we loved the game.  If anyone of us had revealed the truth, God forbid, at least back then, life would not have been worth living.  So when they left—God knows why—the world fell apart.  Who wants baseball any more? Who needs it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment