Friday 9 August 2013

More Limericks from Israel



I will languish away in distress,
I have nothing to wear but this dress:
Come look in my drawers,
Open up all of the doors,
as she piled up her clothes in a mess.



An old codger who hobbled from Haifa
Confessed to the crimes of a lifer,
But his feebleness told
That his fixtures were old
And his meysas as false as his fifer.


A couple at last made aliyah:
They had studied the Bava Metzia.
It struck them as odd
That the rabbis asked God
To excuse all their sins in Hertzeliya.

A rebbe from Chelm got excited
When the havdala candle ignited.
He whistled nigun,
Then pulled out a gun
Until he and Ben Bang Bang were delighted.


I have traveled from Brooklyn to Barak,
I have built me a sukka, a barrack,
I served in the army
Like a slice of salami
Passing muster shmearing mustard into marak.

A fellow came down
From the mount with a crown.
He carried two tables
One Salem’s, one Babel’s.
Now separate fiction and fables
From prophecies of renown.

Whilst living in the town of Be’er Sheva
It was cold and I started to quiver:
A little ice, some snow
So I started to know
Why everyone called it Brr-shiver.

Beyond Herzeliya by the beach
We noticed fragments of glass we couldn’t reach
Through the tumbly surf
And if that weren’t enough
It was ancient and pink as a peach.


No comments:

Post a Comment