Monday 9 September 2013

More Politically Incorrect Songs from 47th Street in Boro Park, Brooklyn,, New York

6
Inka dink
A bottle of ink
The cork fell out
And you stink.

I learned this song in kindergarten in 1945 and sang it on a recording my mother made at Macy’s to send to my father when he was overseas in the army.


7
Make shimalaycham
In the old man’s back
And somebody sticks his finger in.
My finger did it.
My finger did it.

This was an action choosing song on 47th Street in the 1940s.  The group of kids would gather around someone, the IT, and then one person would run his finger around in the IT’s back making simulacrums.  Then someone from the outer group would poke him in the back and IT would have to guess the poking finger, as everyone chanted lines four and five..  If he were correct, then that person became the IT.  If not, the game would go on with the old IT being poked in each round.


                                8
Near the broad Atlantic Ocean
With its waves so blue
Stands a noble school in Brooklyn
Glorious to you
Raise your voices
Praise her onwards
Praise her evermore
Hail to thee
Our alma mater
PS 1-6-4.

This was indeed the alma mater sung in assemblies at Public School 164 on Fourteenth Avenue. It was sung to the same tune as Cornell University’s song .  It went like this: "Far above Cayuga's waters/ There's an awful smell./ Some say it's Cauga's waters// Others say Cornell." 


9.
Ich bin an alta buck
Fun Old Kentuck
Un hub kayne luck
Dann setz mir on meyne ferdele
Un hub mir an der drerdele
Yippyi  io ka yay!

A sort of a Yiddish song my father taught me  It roughly translates as : I am an  old buckeroo from Kentucky and I have no luck.  So I sit on my little horse and hit myself on the backside, Yipp ky-ay ky-oo.  This may have been once part of some Yiddish comedian’s repertoire in the early days of the twentieth century.  It is a parody of the songs real cowboys sang out on the prairie when they tended cattle on what was known a wrench.


10
G’wan home
Ya‘ fadda’s callin‘ ya
Ya’ mudda got stuck
In da vashin’ machine.

Another of my mother’s crazy songs that she loved to sing to me.



1 comment: