Wednesday 25 September 2013

Traditional Jewish Jokes & Anecdotes, No 15

A Proper Englishman Speaks Proper English


Jacob Abramsohn made it good after several difficult years, and now he wants to make sure that his son Chaim Yankle has a proper start in English society.  Nu, so what do you think? He advertises in the London Times for an elocution teacher his son Chaim should learn to speak like a proper Englishman.  
A young graduate of Oxford answers the newspaper classified.

“You are I hope the proper Englishman?” asks Abramsohn.

“I am, indeed, sir,” he answers a little nervously. “ I went to a public school and then went up to Oxford where I majored in literature.”

Abramsohn looks him up and down, curls up his nose and asks: “You could make my son Chaim he should sound like you and become also proper Englishman, the rich people will think he was born in this country, not like his stupid father what comes from Poland?”

“I would endeavour to do my very best, Mr. Abramsohn, “my very best.”

They discuss terms and a gentleman’s agreement is made.  The young tutor will have three months to get the boy started and if all goes well the contract will extend for another three months.  They shake hands.
Thereafter every morning, the tutor arrives, sits with the boy in a small room for three hours in the morning and three in the afternoon, speaks to him reads newspapers with him, and tries to scrape away the rust of the ghetto and the bizarre lilt of the mama loshen, Yiddish. 

At the end of three months, Abramsohn meets the tutor at the door.  “Before you so in to see my Chaim,” he says, “please tell me how he is doing.  Is it worthwhile going on with our contract?”

The tutor looks a bit worn.  “To tell you the truth, Mr. Abramsohn, it’s a bit harder than I expected.  Your son has the mannerism and accent of his family deeply ingrained.  But I think we are making progress.”

“So, nu, is that from you a yes or a no?  You can make my little Chaim into a proper Englishman?”

“I would say it is a positive possibility, only I think I will need to spend at least two more hours each day with your son.  It’s a real challenge.”

“Huckeys dokey, Mr Tutor.  I give you three more months, then we see.”

Three months pass.  The boy and the tutor are left alone. 

“Nu, nu, nu,” says Mr Abramsohn to the tutor, “is my son a fine Englishman yet, he can talk with a haxent just like you?”

The tutor looks perfectly haggard.  But he grits his teeth and says: “Look, sir, I think we are getting there, I really do.  But let me, please, have just one more month with your son.  This is a challenge like I have never encountered before.”

Mr Abramsohn says, “I will let you have this little bit of hextra time, but I ain’t going to pay you if my Chaimie can’t speak like you by the end of this month.  You understand?”

The tutor sighs.  “I understand perfectly.  I must succeed in this now, for my own sake.  I will stay with him all day and also three hours every evening. ”

They shake hands again.

Four weeks pass and then the tutor comes to the door and is met by Mr. Abramsohn.


“Well,” he says to the young man, “ is everythink the way you wanted?”


“Oy, Mr. Abramsohn, this time I give by you a real success story.  Your boychik, Chaimie, he can talk just like me, mit no haxent and a fine kind of Henglish spich.”

No comments:

Post a Comment