Monday 27 January 2014

Differences and Generations, Part 5

 The Music Goes Round and Round and It Comes Out Here


One of the oddest things in the absurd world that now almost completely surrounds me is the way pop music has filled every nook and cranny of entertainment, news and culture, as though there were nothing else but this vile clanking-clunky sound—well, except also for sports which has replaced the news and vacuous actions that fill up big and small and even tiny screens.  When I was young and more self-righteous than I am now, even arrogant in my adolescence, it made no sense to me that my coevals or contemporaries (they are not the same thing since the first is made of  people of my own age and the second of everyone who happens to be alive at the same time as I am) should define themselves and their relationship to one another and to the world generally by the music they liked, that is, the what they listened to on radios mounted on their shoulders and blaring into their ear holes or the 45 rpm they purchased as often as possible and played in their rooms over and over until the grooves were worn down.  This phenomenon struck me as odder than trying to memorize all the members of teams in the baseball teams people rooted for as though their lives depended on it, or the way my classmates and street pals could identify every make of car that passed by and passed judgment on the kind of people who drove such vehicles.  More than cars, teams and everything else was the madness of crooners, recordings and radio DJs. 

Not that I had no attachment to music or didn’t like singing.  My mother was a pianist, told me stories about how she used to give concerts and would have been a professional if my birth hadn’t forced her to leave Juliard Academy before she graduated.  When I was old enough not to be a total pest, she started teaching the piano again, something she did until she had a stroke at an early age and thereafter could not stand to listen to classical music, or almost any music at all in the house.  Yet she did allow me to choose my own instrument so that I would have an understanding and appreciation of music: I chose the trumpet.  It seemed noisy enough to limit my parents’ toleration for hours of practice, had only one line of notes to read, and seemed nice enough to dream of a future in some big band of orchestra.  There were two drawbacks for me: first, I was not able to memorize tunes and needed written scores to read all the time, so the world of dances and other popular entertainments was out; and second, I was not good enough to be more than first trumpet in my high school band and orchestra, as I learned when confronting the really top performers at try-outs for all-city and other orchestras. There was not much to hear in the house and not much I wanted to listen to elsewhere, especially as that would involve participation in social events with girls and slick boys who talked about things I had no interest in.

The songs in the family and the house were not like what was taking over on the radio, school dances, and background to movies.  My grandfather would sing three songs: “Ida, sweet as apple cider” because his wife, my Grandma Ida, had the same name; and “Good-bye, my blue belle, farewell my sweet” because that was popular when he was a young lad in the 1890s.  Sometimes, too, he would sing the George M. Cohan “I’m a Yankee-Doodle-Dandy” on my birthday, because I too was born on the 4th of July and therefore “ a real live nephew of my Uncle Sam.” 

There was an old songbook in the piano stool in our living room next to the baby grand with long green-tasseled cover my mother stopped playing on after she became sick, but which I took up to my room and played on the trumpet as a relaxation from my music lessons and schoolwork.  These included lyrics I could sing along to in my head as I worked out the notes on the horn.  They set a model and a standard for songs to which no other—or hardly no other—lyrics could ever achieve.  Why they are not heard these days, I would tell myself, remains a mystery and can only be because the world has lost its taste.  Thus I would play and sing along to “The Man Who Broke The Bank At Monte Carlo,” a text whose meanings took many months for me to understand.    Or I would repeat many times a day and almost every day “Who Put TheOveralls In Mrs. Murphy’s Chowder,” the absurdity of which tickled my fancy to no end, and still can today, if the melody pops up into my conscious memory. 

In school assemblies, on days when we didn’t listen to recordings of the William Tell Overture and everyone bounced their way to the Lone Ranger theme or sang along to The Blue Danube Waltz the mnemonic lyrics every class passed on mysteriously over the generations so that we could identify this masterpiece as by “Strauss the Louse who lived in the house of Mickey Mouse”, on those days we learned to sing world-favorites such as “As We Go Marching to Praetoria” and “Kukabura Sits in the Old Gum Tree”.  Above all, there was “Barnacle Bill the Sailor” who was admonished by his lady-love when he returned from the sea to announce that “It’s certainly me” and she insisted “If you love me, say it’s I.”  Or we chanted in excited and passionate unison the “Finnicula Song: finicula-finiculi” or we stomped our feet rhythmically to “Give me some men who are Stout-Hearted Men and I’ll Soon Give You Ten Thousand More.” Then to help us learn a little French we would all sing “Vie la, vive la, vive l’amour, vive la compagnie.  Success to each other and pass it along, vive la compagnie” and many dozens more of the same ilk.
Yet these are not like the songs my wife and I would sing when we were on long car rides from one place to another.  Surprisingly, on some of those strange radio shows that take calls from old folks in rest homes or living on their own, some of these are requested and records are found to play over the air.  Who can ever forget “K-k-k-Katie, beautiful Katie, you’re the only g-g-g-girl I ad-d-d-fore.  When the m-m-m-moon shines over the cowshed, I’ll be aiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door”?  Or the long version of “Be sure it’s true when you say I love you, it’s a sin to tell a lie:” which segues into a recitative narrative of “Took a little girl out on a date last night, next to her Gravel Gurdy would have looked all right”  before it comes back to the melodic bouncy “it’s a sin to tell a lie.”  Or the clever and evergreen “Marsy dotes and doesy dotes and liddle lambs eat ivy, a kiddly dotes too, woodenoo ” that slows down, explains itself, and then runs out in its jumbled words when you knew that it “mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.  And a kid’ll eat ivy too, wouldn’t you?”


So it should be clear why that neither Elvis Preslie nor the Beatles or any of the other bizzarely named and cacophonously sounding singers could ever have a place in my heart, let alone serve as a compass needle for my ambitions, hopes and dreams.  Yes, at times I was in love with Judy Canova and Dorothy Collins, and wished to be a partner in the chorus for Snookie Lanson and Roy Rogers, yet never would I permit myself to stand in a huge crowd, swaying, my upheld hands swaying to the trance-inducing drumbeats of what passes for music today.  At my funeral, please play “Bananas ain’t got no bonies” or at least “Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment