Friday 24 January 2014

On Being a Jew in a Non-Jewish World, Part 1


Part 1

Not too long ago on a visit to Australia I went into a Jewish bookshop in the traditionally suburb for Jewish residents.  Looking around at their many religious books, Israeli literature and Jewish history, I got to talking with the owner of the place.  I told him that I had recently published three books on Dreyfus, with an emphasis on Alfred and his wife’s Jewishness.  “But was he a practicing Jew?” asked the shopkeeper.  “Not really,” I answered, “but thanks to his wife’s family and some other relatives, he certainly knew what he was and why he had been falsely accused, tried, found guilty and sent to Devil’s Island.  When push came to shove, he asserted his proper identity.”  The shop owner looked sceptical.  “Dreyfus never begged for forgiveness from the French Army or the Court.  He never prayed for mercy from God.  He always remained loyal to France and to his military professions.  Most of all, he never wavered in his belief in Truth and Justice.”  Not only did the bookshop owner remain with the same unconvinced look—he was after all wearing not just a black yarmulka (skull cap) on his head and a dark suit, white shirt with no tie, but had tsitsit (ritual fringes) dangling from his waist, sure signs of his Orthodox faith; but he never asked for details of my books when I pointed out that he was not displaying them on sale. 

Just a few days ago, another very religious man visited my house, an old friend from overseas, for whom my wife and I went out of our way to make everything kosher—we bought new plates and utensils, pots to cook in, and lots of aluminium foil to wrap the fish we bakes in our oven.  After several hours of friendly conversation, I mentioned a new project I was working on with a local historian.  Since my old friend didn’t ask, I told him anyway that my colleague and I were doing research on Sarah Bernhardt’s visit—actually two brief visits—to Auckland in 1891.” I then tried to explain how this interest arose out of my previous studies of Marrano or Crypto-Jews and my research into Dreyfus’s Jewish background in the late nineteenth century.   And so came the inevitable question: “Did she practice?”  This meant did she keep a kosher home, perform proper domestic and personal hygiene, and celebrate the holidays and attend synagogue.  “Not quite,” I answered.  Her mother’s family were Dutch Jews, mostly wandering vaudeville and circus performers, “which,” I added, “is one of the careers followed by many families who didn’t live in the shtetls (small rural towns and villages) or ghettoes in Eastern and Central Europe.”  My old friend looked sceptical and a little bored.  “Even though her father was not Jewish, Sarah’s mother was, and that at least made her a Jew, a bad Jew perhaps, but a Jew nevertheless.”  Then I could see he was not all convinced.  “Well, here are some little details that make me treat her as an ambiguous, sometimes a confused Jew. This is the first fact.  When she was sent to a convent school by her mother, she was about eight years old.  Only when she was twelve, a few days before she was to take her First Communion, a visiting bishop found out that little Mademoiselle Bernhardt had not been baptized.  Though the great spiritual lapse was quickly rectified at the baptismal font, one has to wonder how (a) her godparents did not see to it as they by definition were duty-bund to ensure that she was baptized and brought up a good Catholic and (b) how the nuns in the convent let this lapse pass for nearly four years. “  I waited for some reaction from my friend.  There was none.  “Well,” I continued, “in itself this fact may not mean anything.  But later during the Dreyfus Affair, Sarah stood up against almost all the intellectuals, artists and theatrical people she knew who were anti-Semites.  They accused her of being a German, a Jew, and therefore a traitor.  Her reaction was to say, fairly explicitly, that when you can show me some Christians who are better than my people, I will consider agreeing with you.’” 

I could see a twitch in the face of my old friend.  So I tried one more little anecdote to win him over.  “There were many critics who did not praise her as the Divine Sarah for her acting abilities and especially her so-called golden voice in the way her public did.  They mocked her appearance and her accented French.  She defended herself by saying that she had inherited her way of speaking from her people’s long history of wandering through the Galut (the Exile and Diaspora).” 

Needless to say, like the bookshop owner in Australia, this man would only define a proper Jew by practice.  I can certainly see his way of thinking, and it is that of many Orthodox and even Conservative rabbis past and present.  It is a legitimate point of view, just as it is legitimate to recognize conversions to Judaism performed by Orthodox rabbinical courts.  However, for me it remains an arguable point of view.  Without going to the extreme of Jean-Paul Sartre who believed that Judaism only continued to exist because of anti-Semitism, both in the way for hundreds of years Jews were isolated into inward-turning communities and could not realize any alternative or in the way in which individuals and families often react to prejudice and oppression by stiffening their necks and being aggressively what their enemies accuse them of being, my belief is that there can be the joy of studying and debating the truths in Scriptures, Talmud, Mishnah Kabbalah without believing everything to be consistently true and absolutely applicable in the contemporary world.

The Judaism that is here being described from my own experience should not be confounded with some kind of Judeo-Christian faith where what one feels in one’s heart matters more than what one does in the real world, the society of history, with its political problems, its wars, its difficulties faced by the poor, the ill and the deeply disturbed.  This is a Jewishness that expresses itself in social actions and public attitudes, in ways that are guided by the precedents and interpretations of the rabbis, that is rooted in a concern for ethics, morality and justice.  My experience and life has mostly been away from the centres of traditional synagogue life, from communities where there are support networks, family ties, intellectual institutions and cultural activities.  It has been a constant effort to make choices, do deeds, and feel emotions that are at several removes from where I would have liked them to be, where I have had to make do through as-if games, trying to convince myself that even though I have been unable and sometimes unwilling to perform the mitzvot, the mandated fulfilments of the Law, to shape my everyday activities around customs remembered from childhood or read of in books, or to express myself openly and frankly as a Jew, I have tried to give meaning that accords with the primal values of Judaism. 

In the many books and articles I have published, though my wife tells me that these scholarly endeavours have been driven by an autobiographical need, I think perhaps it might be better to say that I have come to concentrate my aesthetic and intellectual efforts on persons, events and ideas that are like what I would like to be, do and think. 


Here is where it is important to examine the term Marrano, not as a nasty term often used as a synonym for a Crypto-Jew, or as a specific historical type of Sephardic Jew who was forced to convert and then could neither bring himself to return to Judaism or to accept the baptism sincerely and pass on the new religious identity to the next generation.  Given that Marrano has been sued by several recent historians and political activists to describe the plight of men and women caught between assimilation, conversion and return to Judaism in the last quarter of the nineteenth century and the opening decades of the twentieth when it was still possible, for a moment or two perhaps, to think that the modern nations of the West and Centre of Europe would become tolerant, liberal and secular, thus obviating the need to make a choice of religious or ethnic identity at all, it pays to consider concept of Marranism as that of ambiguity and confusion, in one sense, but much more of that kind of Angst supposedly characteristic of modernity itself.  Certainly by the trauma World War I and then by the rise of Nazi and Stalinist regimes, the mental luxury of that ambiguity became impossible for most Jews: Angst replaced by outright physical terror and suffering.  Yet after the Holocaust, if there was not a commitment to the new State of Israel and its place in world history, there was only a less secure faith in the tolerance, liberalism and secularism of Europe and North America, an illusion of acceptance that grows harder and harder to sustain in the twenty-first century.  The Marrano stands somewhere between Zionism, anti-Zionism, post-Zionism, Orthodox Judaism, and the mixture of other Judaisms, religious, social and cultural.   It is not indifference, which is something else, a kind of delusion of security and denial of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment