Friday 17 January 2014

Generations and Differences, Part 3

The Mysteries of Life and Literature


Similarly, if you think of when my children grew up in the 1960s and 70s, what could they know of the society that had brought me up in the 1940s and 50s--a continuation of the depression and then the War, the realization of the Holocaust?  They know about such things at second or third hand, through television and film, in history books and sometimes in novels. 

Even my sister, who is only seven years younger, had radically different experiences: I was born before television came into our house, she grew up with it.  When she tells her stories--and she is a professional story teller, you know--they just don't ring true: she lacks something essential and it is hard for me to put my finger on it.  But her purposes of entertainment are different from mine.

In my story, for what it is worth, what cuts to the quick is not so much those great events which loom up out of the people who were alive all around me and still stand like vast clouds of gloom, and also as filters through which the light of everything else is seen and felt; but the little personal details.  They are strange poetic conceits woven into the fabric of my life, probably as much responsible for my failures as for what little successes I have had.  Sometimes I have told these stories, many of them recreated and set within much earlier periods of time than when they actually occurred: stories of intellectual and moral awakening, as though they belonged to a time when I was under ten years of age, when they happened with different characters and in different setting years later at university or afterwards.  The voices become muffled then, too, through the infantile and adolescent squeaks and squeals of what was probably less innocent than it seems.  My own role as bumbling fool or as mischievous imp masks more painful memories—perhaps some that creep through the darkness without my own awareness.

What does something like this stand for?  One night, studying late in my dormitory at the small undergraduate college I went to in the mid-1950s, as I read books and took notes, playfully, unconsciously I dipped my pen into a glass of water; at most I was aware only of the different colors that swirled around.  No one else was there.  Then it seemed I dozed off, awoke in a groggy way, and drank the liquid in the glass.  Looking at the near empty tumbler, it struck me that all those inks would poison me and I would be dead very soon.  Should I try to call for help, ask someone to phone for an ambulance, or attempt to vomit away what I could?  It was some holiday when most people had gone home and for some unknown reason I had decided to stay there and catch up with work.  Instead of panicking, I lay down on the bed, closed my eyes, and hoped the end would come peacefully and quietly.  The next morning, out of habit I did my ablutions, went down to the dining hall, had breakfast and chatted with a few class mates.  Later in the day, the memory of the water glass full of ink came back to me.  The words “good luck” were all that could be thought of.  But that is a meaningless statement.

Or another little event.  At the end of my second year, having made the decision to be an English Major and not concentrate on History as I had always planned to do, I went to a gathering organized by the department of new and old students, held at the home of the professor who influenced my choice.  The room was crowded, noisy, and dimly lit.  As usual, I slid around the edges of the clumps of young men and women who were there, most of whom I recognized but only a few of whom had names I could recall, and listened to parts of their conversations.  As the party broke up, I went back to the dorm alone, walking quickly because there were tears forming and a deep black hole in my consciousness.  Still alone in my room, the tears came out, and the darkness made itself into a hammer that kept knocking me, saying that it was impossible for me to be like those others: they knew so much, had read all the great poets, novels, dramas and essayists, and they just have grown up in families that were literary and cultured, gone to schools that emphasized ideas and intelligent conversations—there was no chance I could ever catch up with them. 

But I had made my decision.  The only thing to do, I said to myself, was try to read as much as possible over the summer months and come back with some small degree of knowledge that would help get me through the next two years of study.  After that, who can imagine?  Though I still and to work in the dress factory in Jersey City, nevertheless I spent as much time as possible going through the authors the others had talked about.  Then when September rolled around and the train took me back to the little rural valley where the school was, I prepared myself for all the disappointments of being too far out of the world these other students belonged to and for the mockery of the lecturers, and so for inevitable failure.  In the first week of term, the head of department called all the English Majors together for some announcement, and so there was another gathering at his house, with tea and cakes and noisy talk.  Yet this time, as I lurked about, standing at the edge of conversations, it suddenly struck me that even the senior student and some of the younger lecturers, at least, were all phonys.  They had read only the excerpts in the anthologies and the few books on the syllabus.  I had spent four months not only reading all of the Spenser’s Fairy Queen, the whole corpus of Shakespeare’s plays, Milton’s Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, and dozens of other long and difficult works, but also many shorter collections of poems, stories, plays and essays.  And I could remember them, with ideas floating up into my mind, even though, the truth is, I could only make conversations in my head or comment on the opinions of the others in imaginary dialogues. 


It would still be a long time before I dared speak aloud, other than to answer specific questions in class.  When I look back on some of the essays I submitted, where the mark received was an A, I am astounded, because if they had been written for me when I became a lecturer, I might give them a C or C+ at best.  To this day, I don’t know what that means.  These are mysteries which confounded and still confound any attempt to measure myself against colleagues  that have come and gone.  For as remarked earlier in these little fragments of an autobiography, mostly the world makes no sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment