Thursday 16 January 2014

Generations and Differences Part 2



The Long Sleep and the Endless Noise

As I was born in 1940, my earliest memories take shape around experiences of the Second World War, of the way my mother would watch as young boys who had been drafted would climb the stairs going up to the elevated train station next to our apartment and she would cry because she would say that most of them would never come home, of the way my father left for the Army in early in 1943 and never returned until the last months of 1946, leaving my mother, who was always ill, to cope and moving in her with her mother, and with her father who, it seemed to me, was always dying on the front stoop or on a couch near the window, of the WACs who marched in the junior high school yard across from Grandma’s house and who made me believe that most of the soldiers in the world were women, of the little uniform my Grandpa made for me before he decided to come home and be sick and then to die, a uniform decorated with all sorts of insignia and medals which made soldiers and sailors on the avenue salute me when I walked proudly alongside my mother, of the ration book my Grandmother let me carry for her when she went into the grocery shop, and of all the times my mother would faint in the street and I would be taken home by policemen and other strangers.

My paternal grandfather was a simple man who worked in the fruit and vegetable markets.  My maternal grandfather was a cloth-cutter and a tailor.  Life was hard in the 1920s and 1930s, and their attitudes shaped mine.  A strange mixture of classes, attitudes, and senses of culture.  More than that, when the news of the Holocaust arrived in Yiddish papers and then in the people walking the streets with numbers tattooed on their forearms, what was said didn’t match what was felt at home: at home there was anger and rage.  Underneath, there was the sense that I would have to be at once the replacement for everyone lost and the religious belief they stood for, and the continuation of the rebellion into assimilation, atheism, and left-wing politics.

Then finally my father came home from Japan and we lived in a big house where he kept his dentist’s office.  Grandma moved in with us until she died just after my sister was born in April 1947.  Other people also seemed to die all the time on the street and in houses we went to visit.  Life was filled with death and with women who ran households, who visited my mother and whispered and cried, while I hid under the kitchen table and didn’t understand.  My father worked in the front of the house.  But it was hard because other people were successful.  By the time I was to be bar mitzvahed he had his first heart attack.  Meantime my mother continued to be sick, to faint and to teach piano—which she did until she had a stroke at a very early age.  I can’t remember any adult ever having a discussion or a conversation with me.  They told me what to do, to think, to eat, to feel and to become when I grew up.  But there were lots of books in the attic, and I read my way through them, books on working-class people, strikes, psychology, history and dentistry (they had grizzly pictures of horrible infections and wounds).  Though I played stickball and stoopball in the streets, I spent many hours curled up in a chair in my room, next to the window, and read and read.  It would take many years before I realized you were supposed to understand what you found in books, and not just look up strange words in the dictionary, with definitions that also made no sense.  Life in general made no sense.

But I learned to play the trumpet and was in the school band and orchestra, and started a dance band with my friends.  I went to Stuyvesant High School and studies as hard as I could. Mathematics not being my best subject, I took many courses in musical theory, history and literature, and French.  Nevertheless the long sleep continued and, though I sometimes got high marks, understanding lagged behind.  Even when I started university, with English as a major—replacing History because of special help from one professor, though I don’t recall ever having read a poem before--and doing as much French and German as possible.  Yet sometime in the second year light began to break through.  Maybe it was because my mother had a stroke shortly before I went back to the little university in September 1960.  Maybe it was just that the time had come (twenty years old may be the right age)  to become aware of what literature and culture meant.

Yet as I was going through university, at each transitional moment, it was always the last time--the last time it was required to study two foreign languages, the last time comprehensive exams took eight hours, the last time such and such a scholarship was offered, etc.  I could see and feel the earth being transformed around me.  When we formed a little dance band in high school, my friends and I were playing  the music of the 30s and the 40s, but we were swiftly shoved off by groups playing rock'n'roll, with saxophones and electric guitars, whereas we had trumpets, bass fiddle, piano, and drums--and we rehearsed music we bought that had been orchestrated for older style musicians.  For me, the new sounds were noise. 


But so was almost everything else almost always mere noise until I entered the last year of my undergraduate degree and applied for graduate school  But that must wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment